Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Magic Formula for Success Part 2 of 4

Part 2/4

A Magic Formula


Remarks

To Bellarmine Freshman Pioneers
11-11@11-2008


The second part of the Magic Formula comes from Calvin Borel, the jockey who won the 2007 Kentucky Derby. Calvin’s family circumstances were humble. Conditions did not allow him to get much schooling. Calvin’s father was unable to read. Calvin came from the place known as ‘hard times’ and a school called ‘hardscrabble.’ Perhaps some of you have been there.

As he grew, Calvin’s luck stayed bad. He broke many bones but no records on the race track; he lost a lot of little races riding a lot of underprivileged horses. Then, in 2007 Calvin won the Kentucky Derby. Within hours, he was dining with the Queen of England and the President of the United States at the White House. In an interview, Calvin was asked the same question you are here to ask me: how’d you do it? What’s the secret?

Calvin didn’t hesitate: I owe it all to my Dad.

That is an intriguing answer. Calvin’s father was not a jockey; he couldn’t introduce his son to the top breeders; he couldn’t coach his son on the secrets of riding race horses. So the interviewer asked the next question? What did your father do for you? Calvin’s answer was short, a four word treatise on great parenting: He believed in me. That is the second part of the Magic Formula:

Part 2: Find Someone Who Believes in You (including yourself).

Do not tolerate a milieu in which you are berated or diminished. Always accept criticism, in fact, seek it out and welcome it, but never put up with abuse even if it masquerades as good-natured banter. At one time, 30 pounds ago to be exact, I consulted a nutritionist and personal trainer. Under her aegis, I lost 40 pounds and learned about Evil. Yes, sheer Evil taught in a class on nutrition and personal fitness. Those of you who have tried to lose weight will recognize her warning.

My nutritionist warned me that with my ‘new body’ and my new eating habits, people in my immediate social group, and maybe even my family group, would begin undermining my success and making light of my new enterprise. They would offer rich deserts, candy, fattening foods and chide me with advice: Oh come on, you can have just one. What’s the point of losing weight if you're not going to enjoy life? It is a grim truth. Be forewarned. Some people in your social sphere will try to undermine your success. Be prepared. And that leads to the third part of the Magic Formula.

No comments: